Metal detecting holidays in England

with the Worlds most successful metal detecting club

Twinned with Midwest Historical Research Society USA

Prior to 1767 buttons in the British Army bore no regimental designs or identifications. The infantry and cavalry were , in 1751, numbered in order of precedence, the infantry from 1 to 70 and the cavalry, excluding the household cavalry and dragoon guards from 1st to 13th Dragoons. The infantry after 1751 became know as regiments of foot i.e. 10th Regiment of Foot

The end of a quarter-century of war with the French brought the usual post-war army cuts even though Britain had acquired a vastly larger empire. Some of these reductions proved premature, and the 94th, 95th, 96th, 97th, 98th, and 99th Regiments of Foot were added to the British Army in 1823-24.

Contact Tim Burton our military button expert for his on line reference books



1st Suffolk Yeomanry button(y)

1st Loyal Suffolk Yeomanry 
Officer - 1794-1827


1st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots)

Officer - 1770-1812

German ?

1st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots)



Unrecorded one piece military button

1st Essex Local Militia

Officer - 1770-1812

1st Regiment of Foot (Royal)
( Royal Scots )
Officer - 1860-1871

Not in reference books




Officer - 1800-1839


Leicestershire Militia 1793-1803

Officer - 1770-1812

O/R's - 1855-81

18thC 2nd regiment of foot regiment button (not in ref books)

Unrecorded example with legend

The seven Royal Garrison Battalions were re-named Royal Veteran Battalions in July 1804

Unrecorded example with legend - 'Veteran Battalion'

The Second Regiment of Foot Guards i.e "The Coldstream Guards".



The Second Regiment of Foot Guards i.e "The Coldstream Guards".

'3rd Essex Local Militia gilt (b/m: Charles Jennens. London).

This is the 3rd Reg't of the Essex Local Militia.
Formed march 15th 1809, Disbanded 1816, for the Napoleonic Wars.
Based at Colchester, Lt. Col.Com. John Bawtree.


3rd Essex Local Militia
2nd Queens Dragoon Guards
Officer - 1746-1772


2nd Queen's Dragoon Guards was founded in 1746, from The Princess of Wales's Own Regiment of Horse; redesignated 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) (1872); redesignated The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) (1921); amalgamated to form 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards (1959).

O/R's - 1780-1812

Pre 1820 3RD REGIMENT OF FOOT. / After 1881 :- The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Early one piece unrecorded 3rd 'Essex Local'

Back mark

Best Quality


3rd 'Essex Local'

Officer - 1765-1922 - OR's - 1855-1922

OR's - 1855-1922

3rd Dragoons Guards one piece button- unlisted type

3rd Dragoon Guards

Officer - (Gilt) - 1820-1855

3rd Surry Militia post 1820


Unrecorded types

4th Regiment of Foot
( The King's Own )
O/R's - 1830-1855

Kings St Covent Gardens

4th Regiment of Foot

( The King's Own )

Officer - 1794-1811

Stunning find - 1787- 1793 4th Regiment of foot Post American Revolution period button

Troiani B4.j



4th Regiment of Foot

( The King's Own )



An officer of the 4th Regiment of Foot c.1776-80

When William of Orange landed at Torbay in 1688 the first regiment to support him was the 4th of Foot.  In recognition of this the Regiment was given the unique distinction of wearing the Lion of England as its badge.  The Regiment won its first battle honour at Namur in 1695 as part of King William's Army. Throughout the war of Spanish Succession the Regiment was employed on service with the fleet and in 1703 became part of the Royal Regiment of Marines.

In 1743 the 34th of Foot were sent to Flanders at the outbreak of the War of Austrian Succession, conducting a famous rearguard action at Fontenoy on 30 April 1745.  For this action it was awarded the right to emblazon a laural wreath on the Colours.

In the Peninsular War both the 4th and 34th of Foot served with distinction.  The 4th led the charge into the breach at the great fortress city of San Sebastian.  On the 28th October 1811 at the battle of Arroyo Dos Molinos the 34th found themselves fighting their French opposite number, the 34eme Regiment de Ligne.  Victory was total to the extent that the French lost their Drums and Drum Major's Mace.  The Battle Honour "Arroyo Dos Molinos" is unique to the Regiment and to this day the original Drums and Mace are paraded on the anniversary of the battle.  After Napoleon's escape from Elba the 4th of Foot crossed from England to Belgium and by marching forty eight miles in just over a day were able to take part in the Battle of Waterloo.  In 1841 the 55th of Foot played a distinguished part in the Chinese wars, capturing an Imperial Chinese Dragon Standard at Nankin.  It was awarded the right to bear the word 'CHINA' and the dragon device on the Colours.


WWI type



Unlisted buttons - Crimea war's period

Officer - 1855-1901



WWII type 1935-1952





First cuff button ever found - V DG - 5th Dragoons guards buttons - Crimean war period

Stunning find, 5th Dragoons guards buttons - Crimean war period - unrecorded in any ref book - that's our 6th find of this button including the 1st cuff example and now our first gilded example.

O/R's - 1770-1782

5th Regiment of Foot
( Northumberland )
Officer - (Silver) - 1790-1830

1790 - 1830

O/R's - (Brass) - 1855-1856



British 5th Regiment of Foot, fought at Lexington-Concord and Bunker Hill.

O/R's - 1855-1881

THE 6TH REGIMENT OF FOOT. / After 1881 :- Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Officer - 1861-1866

1855- 1930 Princess Royal 7th Dragoon guards button

7th Queen's Own
Light Dragoons
Officer - 1784-1807
7th Queen's Own

The 7th Queen's Own Hussars was a cavalry regiment in the British Army, first formed in 1690. It saw service for three centuries, before being amalgamated into the The Queen's Own Hussars in 1958.

The regiment was first raised as The Queen's Own Regiment of Dragoons in 1690, by the regimenting of various independent troops, ranked as the 7th Dragoons and named for Queen Mary. The regiment was briefly disbanded in 1714, with its squadrons joining the 1st and 2nd Dragoons, but reformed the following year as The Princess of Wales's Own Regiment of Dragoons, named for Princess Caroline. The regiment was retitled on Caroline's coronation as Queen Consort, becoming the The Queen's Own Regiment of Dragoons in 1727, and formally titled as the 7th (The Queen's Own) Regiment of Dragoons in 1751.

The regiment was designated light dragoons in 1783, becoming the 7th (The Queen's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, and as hussars in 1807 as the 7th (The Queen's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, with the title simplified in 1861 as the 7th (Queen's Own) Hussars. After service in the First World War, the regiment retitled as 7th Queen's Own Hussars in 1921.

The regiment was transferred to the Royal Armoured Corps in 1939. The regiment survived the immediate post-war reduction in forces, but was slated for reduction in the 1957 Defence White Paper, and was amalgamated with the 3rd The King's Own Hussars, to form the The Queen's Own Hussars the following year.

8th Royal Veterinary battion button



9th Queens 

Royal Lancers

The 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, or the Delhi Spearmen, were a cavalry regiment of the British Army. They are best known for their roles in the Indian mutiny of 1857 and for their part in the North African campaign of WW2 including the retreat to and the battle of El Alamein in 1942.


10th Regiment of foot


Officer - 1783-?

11th Light Dragoons

Although the Light Troop had been disbanded some years before, each troop of the regiment had elements of light cavalry for recconaisance work. But in 1783 the whole regiment changed from heavy to light cavalry. For the first year, the 11th Light Dragoons, as they were now called, wore their red coats cut short but in 1784 they were issued with the distinctive dark blue uniform that was to set them apart from the rest of the British Army

Officer - 1902-1920




The 12th Dragoons were a British cavalry regiment raised in 1715 in Berkshire. They were later renamed the 12th Lancers. They fought at Waterloo and during the Great War were part of the 5th Cavalry Brigade.

Officer - 1782-1855

Officer - 1782-1881

12th Regiment of foot

( East Suffolk )

2 Stunning 13th Light dragoons unlisted buttons - pre 1800


'Still unrecorded, but I have it in my book as the below'


13th Light Dragoons

Officer - 1800-1830

13th Light Dragoons


Light dragoons have always been rather special troops. They were first raised in the middle of the Eighteenth Century for reconnaissance and patrolling - in other words scouting - but soon acquired a reputation for courage and dash in the charge. Originally, each regiment of cavalry formed a light troop, but so successful was the idea that whole regiments were formed. The 15th Light Dragoons were the first ever (1759), and others quickly followed including the Eighteenth and Nineteenth. The Thirteenth, raised as heavy dragoons (mounted infantrymen) as early as 1715, were also converted to the light role.

These light dragoon regiments fought all over the world in the half-century that followed, notably in India and North America. They distinguished themselves under the Duke of Wellington in Spain and Portugal in the Napoleonic wars, and three of them were present at the battle of Waterloo (1815).

In the Crimean War (1854-56), the 13th Light Dragoons were in the forefront of the famous Charge of the Light Brigade, immortalized by Tennyson's poem of that name ("Into the valley of death rode the six hundred").
The regiments adopted the title hussars at this time, and the uniform became very stylish, aping the hussars of the Austro-Hungarian army. But soon the blues and yellows and golds gave way to khaki as the British army found itself in skirmishes throughout the far-flung Empire, in India and South Africa especially.


Officer - 1855-1881 , 1855-1881

THE 13TH REGIMENT OF FOOT. / After 1881 :- Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry)

Officer - 1830-1855



(York East Riding)

Officers button

15th The Kings Light Dragoon guards

O/R's - 1881-1901

THE 16TH. (THE QUEEN'S) LANCERS (1812 - 1922)

The 2nd Light Horse was a British cavalry regiment raised in 1759. They first saw action at the siege of Belle Isle in 1761 and later fought in the American war of Independence. They were later renamed the 16th Lancers and earned the nickname 'Scarlet Lancers' because they were the only lancers to wear a scarlet tunic. They are the only British cavalry regiment to break an infantry square, which they did at Aliwal in the Punjab in January 1846.

O/R's - 1855-1881


Officer's - 1782-1809

Rev wars period


17th (Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot button

19thC Royal fuseliers button

Officer - 1830-1855

Officers button - 1776 pattern

THE 20th REGIMENT OF FOOT East Devonshire Regiment pre 1800

This regiment was known as "Wolfe's Own" as Wolfe was once the colonel of this regiment. The regiment participated at both Louisbourg and Quebec during the Seven Years War in America. Governor Carleton also at one time served as a senior officer to this regiment.

Officer - 1770-1810





THE 23RD REGIMENT OF FOOT c 1800 / After 1881 :- The Royal Welsh Fusiliers


The South Wales Borderers (24th Foot)



25th Regiment of Foot
( Edinburgh )
O/R's - 1751-1782

19thC Victorian Kings own royal border regiment


25th Regiment of Foot

Officer - 1855-1881

26th Regiment of Foot
( Cameronians )


Unrecorded in any book 27th Regiment of Foot ( Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers )

THE 27th (Inniskilling) REGIMENT OF FOOT


Early one piece - not in ref books

18thC 28th regiment of foot - not in my ref books

19thC 28th Reg button

c1800-1820 ​

THE 28th REGIMENT OF FOOT. Early Glostershire Regiment button

The 28th became the North Gloucestershire Regt of Foot in 1782.

O/R's - 1770

German ?

1777 Pattern 28th Regiment of foot button

29th (Worcestershire)
Regiment of Foot


Soldiers of the 29th Regiment of Foot as they would have looked
in 1770 at the Boston Massacre.

Officer - 1800-


Cambridge shire XXX

Back mark

C. Clancey & Co - Dublin


30th (Cambridgeshire) Regiment of foot


30th South. Mayo Reg't (Militia) 

Regular Militia ( Ireland )

Officer - (Gilt) - 1829-1836

O/R's - 1855-1881

THE 31ST REGIMENT OF FOOT. c 1855 / After 1881 :- 1st Battalion The East Surrey Regiment

32nd regiment of foot

( Cornwall )

O/R's - 1855-1881




(32nd & 46th Foot)

The 32nd Regt of Foot gained the Cornwall title in 1782. This style had a long period of use by the Regt lasting until 1871 for other ranks and 1881 for officers.

Officer - 1848-1853 - O/R's & Officer - 1782-1840


Officer - 1848-1853


THE 33RD REGIMENT OF FOOT. / After 1881 :- 1st Battalion The Duke Of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment

O/R's - 1855-1881

34th Regiment of foot

The 34th Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, formed in 1702 and amalgamated with the 55th (Westmorland) Regiment of Foot, into The Border Regiment on 1 July 1881.

O/R's - 1782-1810

35th Regiment of foot web site

Served in the Indian and Independence wars

This is a fascinating one piece silvered unrecorded button find - The Button is the 36th Regiment of foot with the legend 'Leicester Regiment'. The Leicester Regiment were the 17th Regiment of foot ? and fought with Cornwallis at York town.

Officer - 1800-1830


36th Regiment of foot

O/R's - 1855-1881

37th (North Hampshire)
Regiment of Foot

37th Regiment of foot history site

38th Regiment of Foot

( 1st Staffordshire )

O/R's - 1855-1881

2- Unrecorded 38th Reg


38th Regiment of Foot

( 1st Staffordshire )

O/R's - 1855-1881

39th Regiment of Foot

( Dorsetshire )

O/R's - 1855-1881

The 40th (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, formed in 1717 and amalgamated into The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) in 1881

O/R's - 1855-1881

c 1881 - THE 41st REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 1st Battalion The Welsh Regiment

The 41st Regt of Foot were the 41st Regt of Invalids from 1751-1787, the 41st Regt of Foot 1787-1831,then became the Welch Regt of Infantry from 1831-38, the 41st Welch Regt 1838-52, The Welch 1852-62 and the 41st Welsh Regt of Foot 1862-81 .

42nd Regiment of foot

O/R's - 1810-1855


42nd Regiment of foot

Raised in 1739 and originally numbered the 43rd Regiment, the 42nd Foot is the most senior of the Highland Regiments


O/R's - 1855-1881

43rd LIGHT INFANTRY. / After 1881 :- 1st Battalion The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry)

Officer - 1803-1830

1810 THE 43rd LIGHT INFANTRY. / After 1881 :- 1st Battalion The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry)

O/R's - 1820-

O/R's - 1782-1820

THE 44th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 1st Battalion The Essex Regiment

Officer - 1820-1881

Pre- 1820 - THE 45th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment)

Officer - 1830-1840

Silver 46th South Devon Regiment button(y)

THE 46th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Duke Of Cornwall's Light Infantry

18thC Unrecorded 48th regiment of foot button

O/R's - 1855-1881 (Var)



The Northamptonshire Regiment was raised in 1741. It too was part of the Great Siege of GIBRALTAR from 1779-83 and was awarded the Castle and Key emblem. The most famous Battle Honour TALAVERA was gained in 1809 during the Duke of Wellington's campaigns against the French in the Peninsula. At the same time they earned the nickname "The Steelbacks" for their ability to show complete contempt when being flogged with the cat-o'-nine tails, then a normal method of administering punishments in the Army even for very minor crimes.

Museum link

Officer - 1855-1881


50th Regiment of foot button

The first regiment known as "50th Regiment of Foot" was raised in North America in 1755 by William Shirley, the British governor of Massachusets. It counted about 1,000 men.

This regiment was disbanded on December 22 1756.

In December 1755, a new regiment originally ranking as "52nd" was raised by Abercromby.

In 1757, when the original "50th" and "51st" regiments of foot were disbanded. The "52nd" officially became the "50th Regiment of Foot".

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

  • from 1755 to December 22 1756: colonel William Shirley (this was the initial North American regiment)
  • from December 25 1755: James Abercromby (this was the British regiment)
  • May 30 1756: Studholme Hodgson
  • October 24 1759: John Griffin Griffin (Whitwell), 4th Lord Howard de Walden
  • May 5 1760 to September 5 1764: Edward Carr
  • In 1881, they amalgamated with the 97th

Officer - 1855-1881


The 53rd (Shropshire) Regiment of Foot

Officer - 1855-1881

1805 THE 54th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Dorsetshire Regiment

c1816-1845 ​55th Regiment of foot button

Raised 55 on chequered background within incised wreath on octagon.

​Known as the 55th Regt of Foot from 1757-1782, then Westmoreland between 1782-1881.

55th Regiment of foot

( Westmoreland )
O/R's - 1855-1881



The 55th Regiment of Foot was a British army regiment raised at Stirling in 1755 and sent to America. In 1881 it became the 2nd Battalion of the Border Regiment.

55th (Westmoreland) Regiment of Foot
The original warrant for the formation of this regiment was dated 31st December , 1755. About eighteen months after its formation the regiment left Cork with the troops under General Hopson, destined for an attack on Cape Breton. But the enterprise was abandoned for that year, and the troops wintered in Nova Scotia. Next year the 55th served in the attack on Ticonderoga, a splendid example of stubborn but fruitless valour, in which the Black Watch and the 55th bore a prominent part, long remembered north of the Tweed.

The 55th went next to Niagara with General Prideaux, and took part in the repulse of a force of 1,800 French regulars and 500 Indians, which attempted the relief of the fort. The 55th was employed in various subsequent operations in connection with the conquest of the Canada's, and was detained in the country some years after the peace.

At the beginning of the American War of Independence the regiment was again in America, and fought at Long Island, Brandywine, Germantown, and other early conflicts. In 1778 it was among the troops sent from New York to the West Indies.

Officer - 1844-1871

c 1800 THE 56th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Essex Regiment

O/R's - 1855-1881

The regiment started out as the 59th Regiment of Foot raised in Gloucester in 1755. After the disbandment of the 50th Regiment of Foot and the 51st Regiment of Foot in 1756, it became the 57th Regiment of Foot. In 1782, it was given a county connection, becoming the "57th (the West Middlesex) Regiment of Foot".

The 57th Regiment earned their nickname of "the Die Hards" after their participation in the Battle of Albuera, one of the bloodiest battles of the Peninsular War, fought on 16 May 1811

Officer - 1757-1800

58th (Rutlandshire)
Regiment of Foot

1740.....the 58th Regiment of Foot
1756.....47th Regiment of Foot
1756......changed back to 58th Regiment of Foot
1757.....58th Regiment of Foot
1782.....The 58th ( Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot.
1881.....2nd Battalion of the Norhamptonshire Regiment
Present.....Now forms part of the Royal Anglian Regiment

58th Reg web site

O/R's - 1782-1810

The 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot

They served in the American war of Independence and later became the 2nd Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment.

O/R's - (Engraved) 1757-1815

60th Regiment of Foot

( Royal American )

O/R's - 1855-1881

61st Regiment of foot button

The 61st (South Gloucestershire) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, created in 1758 and amalgamated into The Gloucestershire Regiment in 1881.

Unrecorded 62nd Regiment of foot - LXII Wiltshire Regiment - officers button




1855-1881 - THE 66th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion Princess Charlotte Of Wales's (Royal Berkshire Regiment)

Officer - 1845-1855

Pre 1800


The 1st South Hampshire Regiment was formed in 1782 of the old 67th Foot. The regiment won acclaim in India and was commemorated with the Royal Tiger on the regimental badge. They later became the 2nd Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment

Officer - 1770-1782

1855 - 81 69th Regiment of foot

Jennens & Co


Officer - 1770-1782




THE 69th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Welsh Regiment officers button(b)


The 71st Regiment of Foot was a Highland regiment in the British Army, which in 1881 became the 1st Battalion

The 71st Regiment of Foot was first formed in 1758 from the 2nd Battalion, 32nd Regiment of Foot



73rd Regiment of foot button

The 73rd Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, raised in 1780. Under the Childers Reforms it amalgamated with the 42nd Regiment of Foot to form the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in 1881.

1766-1780 THE 76th REGIMENT OF FOOT

1766-1780 THE 76th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Duke Of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Officer - 1845-1855

77th Regiment of foot button


The 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment of Foot (The Duke of Cambridge's Own) was a line regiment of the British Army from 1787 to 1881

Officer (Silver)- 1793-1810

Pre 1820 THE 78th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 78th Highlanders
The 78th Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs) were formed in 1756 as the 2nd Highland Battalion and reformed in 1793 as the 78th Highlanders and joined with Fraser's Highlanders in 1881 to form the Seaforth Highlanders.

O/R's (W/M) - 1830-1855

1804-1820 79th Regiment of foot button

79 enclosed within strap, crowned with CAMERONIAN VOLUNTEERS above.

An officers example to the 79th who were first the 79th Royal Liverpool Volunteers between 1778-1784, then Cameron Highlanders 1804-73 and Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders 1873-1881.


79th Regiment of Foot

( Cameron Highlanders )

Officer (Silver) - 1808-1816

81st Regiment of Foot

Loyal Lincoln Volunteers

The 81st Regiment of Foot (Loyal Lincoln Volunteers) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, raised in 1793 and amalgamated into The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in 1881.



82nd (Prince of Wales Volunteers) Regiment of foot

The 82nd Hamilton Regiment

The 82nd Regiment, also known as the Hamilton Regiment, was assembled in 1778 in Scotland. As the thirteen American colonies had decided on independence from Great Britain, the 8th Duke of Hamilton was appointed to form a regiment to reinforce its troops in North America. Potential recruits from the Lanarkshire district were plied with guineas and port to join the regiment. In addition, a detachment of soldiers enlisted for service in the 42nd and 71st regiments, the Black Watch and the Fraser Highlanders, were ordered into the 82nd. They refused and were convicted of mutiny. King George III pardoned them, perhaps on the condition they serve in the 82nd regiment.
Six companies were raised and set sail for Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Brigadier-General Francis MacLean led the 82nd regiment, with the 74th regiment, to Penobscot Maine to construct a fort and interrupt shipping in and out of Boston, and also provide security for those remaining loyal to Great Britain.
A large force of 3,000 men in nineteen ships and twenty four transports laid seige on the fort unsuccessfully for three weeks. British reinforcements arrived, causing the Yankee force to flee up river where some ships were grounded, others set fire to, and those not killed travelled over land back to Boston. The leader of the Yankee forces, Paul Revere, was court-martialled and acquitted after the trial dragged on for three years. As the Penobscot fort was destroyed, the troops of the 82nd were returned to Halifax for garrison duty.The second and final mission of the 82nd was to assist General Cornwallis free the Carolinas. They succeeded in capturing Wilmington to keep Cornwallis' lines of communication to the sea open. However the forces capitulated in Yorktown, and Cornwallis committed suicide. Many were incarcerated as prisoners of war. The war ended , and in October, 1783, the 82nd regiment sailed from New York for Halifax where it disbanded. A tract of land containing 26,030 acres was set aside for the soldiers in Pictou County and it became known as the 82nd grant.

The land was surveyed and divided into lots for the soldiers to draw their number. While some sold their lots without seeing them, others visited the lots and promptly returned to Halifax to re-enlist.
About fifty actually moved to Pictou County.



82nd (The Prince of Wales's Volunteers) Regiment of Foot

O/R's - 1855-1881


83rd (County of Dublin)
Regiment of Foot

O/R's (Brass) - 1855-1881

84th Regiment of Foot
( York & Lancaster )

Officer (Silver) - 1794-1809

Post 1795 THE 86th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / AFTER 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Royal Irish Rifles

The 86th (Royal Co. Down) Regiment of Foot was a British infantry regiment raised in 1793 and then known as 'Cuyler's Shropshire Volunteers'. It received the title 86th Regiment of Foot in 1812


O/R's (Brass) - 1855-1881

87th Regiment of Foot

O/R's (Brass) - 1830-1871

88th Regiment of Foot
( Connaught Rangers )
O/R's (Pewter) - 1779-1830

88th Regiment of Foot
(Connaught Rangers)


88th (Connaught Rangers) Regiment of Foot
1814 - 1897
In 1816, the 88th proceeded to Quebec, and served in the unsuccessful expedition against Plattsburg, on Lake Erie. Returning to Europe, it landed at Ostend a month after the battle of Waterloo.

1800 - 89th Regiment of foot button

Unrecorded 91st Regiment of foot button - Argyllshire Highlanders

91st Regiment of foot- Argyllshire Highlanders


O/R's - 1798-1830





The 92nd Highland Regiment was a British infantry regiment raised in 1794 by the Duchess of Gordon with a shilling between her lips. They formed the 2nd battalion of the Gordon Highlanders on its inception in 1881.

The 93rd Regiment

The 93rd Regiment was raised three times before it became the Sutherland Highlanders.

Sutherland Fencibles

The 1st Sutherland Fencibles were raised in Scotland from the area of Sutherland and Caithness in 1759 and disbanded in 1763 by Lord Reay.

1779: 2nd Sutherland Fencibles raised by Elizabeth, Countess of Sutherland (done in practice by Lt. Col. William Wemyss of Wemyss).

1793: 3rd Sutherland Fencibles raised by Wemyss. Served in 1798 Irish Rebellion. Disbanded April 1799 at Ft. George.

Upon the disbandment of the two regiments in 1799, the new 93rd Regiment was recruited from the recently disbanded Sutherland Fencibles by their old colonel William Wemyss, at this time a Major General in the British Army, on behalf of his 16 year old cousin Elizabeth, Countess of Sutherland.

94th regiment of foot

O/R's (Brass) - 1802-1881

No buttons of the 94th are listed in any reference book

94th regiment of foot

The regiment was raised in 1793 from the men of Connacht by John Thomas de Burgh, 13th Earl of Clanricard.

In 1881, the 88th (Connaught Rangers) Regiment of Foot (which formed the 1st Battalion) and the 94th Regiment of Foot (which formed the 2nd Battalion) were amalgamated. The amalgamation of the two regiments into one was part of the British Government's Childers Reforms of the British Armed Forces which was, in turn, a continuation of the Cardwell Reforms implemented in 1879. At that time five infantry battalions were given Irish territorial titles.

Kings Royal Rifle Corp 1872 - 1939


The Rifle Brigade
(Prince Consort's Own)

1812 95th Regiment of Foot (Riflemen)
1816 The Rifle Brigade


The Kings Royal Rifle Corp 1872 - 1939 Also worn by The Rifle Brigade


O/R's (Brass) - 1855-1881

O/R's (Pewter) - 1793-1855

96th (Queen's Own Germans) Regiment of Foot

1824 96th Regiment of Foot
raised at Manchester


O/R's - (Brass) - 1855-1881

XCVII regiment button

The 97th (The Earl of Ulster's) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, formed in 1824 and amalgamated into The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) in 1881.

Prior to 1800, three unconnected Foot Regiments bore the identification number of 97th Foot. The first 97th Regiment of Foot was raised in c1760 and disbanded in 1763. A second regiment was raised in 1780 under Colonel Samuel Stanton and disbanded in 1783. A third 97th Regiment of Foot was formed in 1794 under Sir James Grant, and disbanded in 1796.
In 1805, a new 97th Foot was formed from the Queen's German Regiment (or Queen's German Infantry; originally formed in 1798 as the Minorca Regiment).
In 1816 this 97th Foot Regiment was renumbered the 96th Foot (thus replacing the existing 96th Foot which, also in 1816, was renumbered 95th).
In 1816 when the existing 97th Regiment of Foot was renumbered 96th Foot, the 98th Regiment of Foot was renumbered 97th Foot before being disbanded in 1818.
In 1824, another 97th Foot was formed: the 97th (The Earl of Ulster's) Regiment of Foot. This continued until 1881 when this regiment was linked to the 50th (Queen's Own) Regiment of Foot to form The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment.

98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot

1807 - 1824, 1848
The 98th Foot of 1805-15 was raised in 1805 and served some years in Bermuda and New Brunswick. It was renumbered as the 97th in 1815 and disbanded in 1818. It served in the Atlantic region of Canada from 1814.

98th Regiment of Foot

Officer 1824-1855


O/R's (Brass) - 1855-1881

1823-24 - THE 99th REGIMENT OF FOOT. / After 1881 :- 2nd Battalion The Duke Of Edingburgh's (Wiltshire Regiment)

100th Regiment of foot button

Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment

Raised in Ireland in 1804 for service in the Napoleonic Wars

Great find Unrecorded 103rd Regiment of foot button

Royal Genadiers button ?

Unrecorded 106th Ipswich volunteers button


106th Ipswich volunteers

106th Regiment button

The 106th Regiment of Foot (Bombay Light Infantry) was an infantry regiment of the British Army from 1862 to 1881, when it was amalgamated into The Durham Light Infantry, which was itself later amalgamated into the Rifles.

I Nutting & Son
Covent Garden

111 GR is a royal cypher for George III.

Second comment, ( not confirmed), Legend may be . . . ROYAL BUCKS KINGS MILITIA.

Two militias fall into that time slot . . .

1794 38th - Royal Buckinghamshire Militia (King's Own).

1803 49th - Royal Buckinghamshire Militia (King's Own).


112th Regiment of foot button (King's Royal Musqueteers)